Monday, September 10, 2007

(Sore) Back to School

Well, the kids are back in school, sore backs and all.
Their book bags are so jammed with material — much of it probably never even removed at home — that the children are all hunched over. I predict back problems in later years.
But it’s no longer just book bags.
Don’t forget the laptop.
Back-to-school shoppers looked particularly stressed this year, trying to match their children’s requests with available funds.
Maybe they took seriously the direct mail advertisement from Hewitt Packard that said: “Stop resisting. Give in to what your kids really want.”
And, “You will buy it for your kids and become the cool parent on the block.”
And, “Repeat three times: I want what’s best for my kid.”
I guess the cool parent will get the Notebook PC for $1,030 and add Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition plus a wireless mouse and a TV tuner and remote for a total of $1,320.
These kids are not only smarter than we were but more skilled at manipulating mom and dad.
My advice: Also get the three-year accidental damage protection for $350.

NOTE: During the spring and summer, I commented several times here on corruption in the college-student loan industry in which colleges and/or their officials received various forms of compensation (kickbacks) from lenders for pushing their companies.
The Press of Atlantic City joined in Sunday, Sept. 9, with an editorial welcoming a code of ethics issued by this state’s attorney general, but a call for “real solutions...at the federal level.”

4 Comments:

At September 13, 2007 at 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is crazy what parents go through these days to get children everything they want. Children are never going to learn to want somehting or WORK towards getting something they want. Maybe it is just me, but everybody seems to fall into a trap like I have to have that new cool thing for school becaue everyone else has it. I don't buy into it. I don't know how they afford it.

 
At September 15, 2007 at 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a funny rule in our house when I was a kid--my parents were in charge. Oh, I could ask for the most expensive sneakers or the latest style of jeans, but if they couldn't afford it (they seldom could) or thought it was inappropriate--they won the argument.

Today's parents need a little more spine. Sometimes it's hard being the one making the decisions. Modern parents seem too anxious to abdicate their authority to an adolescent.

 
At September 15, 2007 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Joe Zelnik said...

When I was a kid, we were lucky to have a new, fresh-killed, deer skin poncho for back to school.

 
At September 15, 2007 at 1:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid...the only pancho we knew was Pancho Gonzales--the tennis champion!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

free hit counter script